February 3, 2012

Thoughts on the Blood Angels Codex


Hello everyone.

Firstly, I would like to note that this text does not begin with the intent to insult or show someone in a bad light. I was power gamer with cheesy lists.But why write this? Well, because I honestly got tired of playing strong, powerful list and I started to look at the basic rule that still stands in the rulebook, which is to "have fun". Reading all these tremendous WH40k books, I realized that I want to have a list of exactly what they have in books. Mephiston does not lead 50 Assault Marines or Astorath does not lead 40 Death company marines in rhinos with chaplains, etc. I realized that I´m not using 60% -70% Codex. That's why I started working at the list just like armies from books. What does this mean? So that means I like the idea of a list that looked like:

a) Army is led by some crazy Chaplain / Reclusiarch
b) Rare, but the truth is, that it happens that army is even led by one of the main characters (like in book, Fall of Damnos)
c) There is always some old fart of drednought that is wise and smart and all the other crap
d) Tactical marines are unavoidable and assault marines are for quick strikes
e) Scouts are always somewhere (more or less)
f) It often happens that the army has a Land Speeder for survey
g) There is always an old vehicle from the time of the Emperor that has a kill count of 2 and many more zeros behind

So I started doing the list that have begun to use most of the Codex, which is really flexible. I like the idea of scout bikers with a locator beacon, move up to 18 inch, and in next turn there are some terminators. (SPOILER )That was a great scene in The Purging of Kadillus and I therefore set out to do a similar list.

I must admit that I haven´t played with a BA for a year. I played only with Tyranids. I know, I should be burned as a heretic but I played with the Sisters of Battle to redeem myself a bit. Like every normal human or other, I like to win but I became bored playing such games in which my goal was to win and you would be unhappy if there was something which did´t work as planned, or I would think about the wrong moves that I made. That is why I started doing the lists that are more thematic than power gamer lists. I'm trying to imagine scenarios in my head, make a short story and then make the list.

Again, I repeat, this is not for insulting the power gamers, but I just personally got tired of making powerful list. Before, I was playing with my friend from the club so called “trash games”.  Rules were simple – make the list with everything that would not otherwise be taken and have a super fun. I began to make similar lists but more thematic and play with them and I must admit that my desire for games has returned. Last 4 games I played were the best in the last year. I discovered the magic of Whirlwind, rapid fire enjoyment from tactical marines, the speed of land speeders and wind in my hair with bikers.

This text is not written with the intent to criticize, but I just wanted to share with you my reflections and thoughts. I hope that no one is offended by this text. If it is, then we can go to 4-5 beers and solve the problem.

Cheers!
Perun

PS. Of course, you'll have to come to Croatia for that beers =)


I hope that I will not get this kind of views or messages on the street:

No comments:

Post a Comment